POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2008 21:05:17
Message: <48473bcd$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <4846afed$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
>>> This would allow a particle to both "pass through" two slits at the same
>>> time, and yet, *not* have done so, but only if the slits where within a
>>> the maximum distance in which such fluctuations would allow the electron
>>> to fluctuate.
>> I think you're looking at one experiment that gives very un-common-sense
>> results, and trying to come up with a common-sense explanation based on
>> popular understanding of what's known about how it works.
>>
> Umm, yeah. Kind of figured that is what science is supposed to do right?

My emphasis was on "one experiment". There have been hundreds of
unintuitive results from experiments. Trying to explain just one, when
it contradicts a bunch of others, isn't likely to be too productive.
Fun, perhaps, but unproductive. :-)

> lol But, I think it scales well anyway. If an electron is passing
> through a wire, some "escapes" when it gets near the edge, otherwise it
> has constraints on "where" it can show up.

It has very few constraints, really. There are very few conditions where
probability is actually zero.

> Since that can't be in the middle of an existing particle,

Actually, it can, depending on the polarization.

> Or, maybe not. If you have a vacuum, one of the properties of that
> vacuum is that there are no other particles to "force" any particles
> left in it to "stay" within the "normal" space they occupy.

I don't know what you mean. Vacuum is full of other particles, and I'm
not sure what "normal space" would be.

> assumption has always been that virtual particles are not "real" in the
> same sense as normal ones,

I wasn't aware of that.

In any case, I can't follow what you're talking about. It's either too
far from the terms that everyone else uses, or too vague for me to have
any idea what you're trying to say.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"